Apr 25, 2011

Yes and No

Saying "No" is a talent my two-year-old possesses.  I call it a talent, because I don't know how many self-help classes/books/workshops I have experienced that have touched on practicing saying that word.  Now, mostly, Gabe uses it to rebel.  He isn't using it the way I should...

Most often, he only says it to do the opposite of what I say.  Consequently, reverse psychology is a gem these days.  If I want him to say "yes"  I simply tell him "that's a no."  And he asks "Is it yes?  I say yes."  I know this isn't the best parenting technique.  But sometimes, I just do it because it works. 

Even though I don't use "no" the way I should, I don't use "yes" effectively either.  I don't mean when it comes to Gabe.  (I already admitted how faulty I am in using it with him.)

It's true that we should all get better at saying "no".  I LOVE a project.  I love planning, budgeting, and sometimes even completing a project.  I get excited about the possibilities and all that I could add to it.  I am blinded to the committment and work it will require and I say "YES!!!"  Wrong answer, Em. 

But I want to say that these days, I have been experiencing a true NEED to say yes.  It's when people offer to help me.  It happens all the time.  "Can I hold Elliott for you for awhile so you can take a nap?"  "If you need anything, let me know."  "I'll do your dishes so you can rest."  "Just tell me what you need and I'll do it."  "Would you like to borrow my baby seat and see if keeps Elliott happy?"
And I say, "No, thank you."  "I'm Ok."  "We're making it for now, but maybe later." 
Take one step in my front door, see the MESS I am in, eat the last minute meals I have been feeding my husband, or listen to my to do list and you will know that the answer should be "Yes, Yes, YES!!!"

So, what am I up to today?  I said "Yes" when Grammie offered to keep both boys ALL DAY and I am cleaning, paying bills, grocery shopping, doing laundry, cooking a GOOD dinner, and teaching piano lessons.  (And blogging...better get to work.)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you said yes, and glad you took a little of your free time for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Emily! We all need a little practice accepting gifts and graces from time to time. If you even need some time off or have some things you want to get accomplished this summer, I love babies and children, so just let me know and I would love to take one or both boys! Payment=couples' night out, or coffee just you and me! Friendship is the ultimate gift :D

    ReplyDelete