Sep 24, 2012

Monthly Menu Planning, Part 4

Got your list made?  I hope this has been helpful and that you can find all of the information you need.

Step 5: Plan Your Shopping Trip


It is a rare treat that I get to do this with no kids.  My boys do OK if I get an early start and have snacks, drinks, and a couple of toys available. 

I will let you in on some of my favorite places to shop:

Aldi
Oh man.  I live in a small town.  Our nearest Aldi is 30 minutes away and WORTH THE TRIP.  I like to get produce here, IF I am going to use it or freeze it in the next few days.  The prices are great for pantry staples, too.  And shredded cheese.
If you haven't been to Aldi, give it a try.  Don't forget to take a quarter, your reusable grocery bags (they don't have bags), and give yourself time to figure out the layout of the store.

Dollar General
We do, however, have Dollar General in town.  They also have low prices on pantry staples, spices, and basically anything non perishable.  Oh!  And toiletries, cleaners and stuff like toilet paper and trash bags. 
The BEST part is, on Saturdays, they have $5 coupons if you spend $25 or more.  Awesome!  Save your shopping for Saturday.  (Oh!  And I need to do a whole blog post on buying diapers there.  Seriously.)  Here is a link to their page where you can print off the coupon mentioned above, and many other coupons good at their store.  They also accept manufacturer's coupons and coupons printed from online.

Walmart
I do love their produce.  If I'm already in a bigger town for other shopping, I usually finish my shopping here.  Otherwise, I like to support our local grocery store.

Make sure you are checking your grocery store's website for the weekly ad and any coupons before you go.  ALWAYS go with a list in hand.  You will spend less and make better choices if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment